Once again Tigger was the victim on this one. I swear this guy is strong as an OX.
So this time around, it was a hot summer day, and nothing out of the ordinary, we were out at the pool and the dogs were meandering around, basking in the sun, finding some shade and just being dogs. We have some grapevines in our backyard, and some guests that day asked if they could grab a bunch from the vines. Of course the answer was yes. Well, they dropped the first batch and decided to hand them over to Tigger.
Big Mistake! Tigger comped em down, and was very happy. When he was done, he went and found a spot to lay and finish his summer day. Tigger started going in to convulsions after a while when he was sitting on the grass, once again I was scared beyond belief. Out of the pool, and off to the Vet we went!
How the vet understood me through my hysterics I have no idea. I thought Tigger had had a heat stroke and assumed that is what had happened. He checked him out as he asked the usual probing questions, that I always thought had no purpose, now I want him to ask more. As soon as he figured out he had eaten a bunch of grapes, he seemed to know what had happened.
Come to find out, grapes are toxic to dogs when eaten in large quantities. The exact amount is not known. So you may have given your dog a raisin or two before and seen no effect, but if your dog eats the whole box, have your vets number handy. Grapes can cause vomitting and diarrhea and signs of kidney and liver problems, sometimes failure. Every dog will react different, some will be able to eat more than others before problems occur, but no matter what, they will get sick if they eat enough.
Because of the level of reactions to grapes and potential for death, the veterinarians at the NAPCC (national animal poison control center) agree that agressive treatment should be applied to any dog that is believed to have ingested large amounts of grapes. This includes stomach pumping, induced vomitting and IV fluid therapy based on the results of blood work, looking for kidney damage.
Once again the story did have a happy ending with Tigger returning home, healthy as can be. I promise I’m not careless with my dogs, I love them very much. But, it’s everyday things that you just don’t think about that can have a huge effect on your dog. And that is why I’m writing about my experiences. If I can help just one dog owner out there to avoid any of these situations, I’m happy. So remember, no matter how much you love grapes, NO GRAPES FOR YOUR DOG!